Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Chapter 8 blog

The concept that I chose for chapter 8 was concession. Concession, in the book, is defined as a simple statement of guilt such as: ("I was wrong"; Yes, I did that"). What I really liked about this concept is that it's such as common concept that people do ans say but don't say as much. I feel from experience that it's hard for people to admit they're wrong. It's very true. In fact, I have a friend who when she does something wrong, hardly ever admits that she was in the wrong. I have even done so myself. For some reason, admitting you were wrong is a very difficult thing to do. Sometimes people just apologize without giving a reason onto what they are apologizing for. This concept is a good concept in which everyone can relate to. It's something that I do myself and to me that just proves that people are just stubborn to admit when they are in the wrong. It's sort of like lack of communication. But when you do get an apology where they admit they were wrong, it's nice and surprising to hear. It makes the communication more sufficient.

2 comments:

Les Richman said...

Hey -

Your week 3, chapter 8 blog post on what concession is, was neat to read. I found learning about concession in chapter 8 to be interesting as well. Personally, I find conceding hard to do, especially when you don’t feel that you were ‘wrong.’ Admitting fault is always difficult and even at 21 years of age, I still have time admitting my mistakes. I also liked reading your example about your friend who does something wrong and “hardly ever admits it.” I know too many people like that! I look forward to reading future posts about concepts we are learning in our online class!

Paula said...

I have to agree that admitting you fault is always hard, even if it is just to yourself!!! There's been times i've done something wrong but I sit there swearing that I wasn't wrong, such example would be driving down the freeway or surface streets and pull out in front of someone, and then swear you checked and there was no one this guy came out of no-where. As children we learned that we need to be perfect, at least the ideology of it. So it is very difficult to admit guilt in this day in age because it is a reflection of having faults and we aren't suppose to have faults in the eyes of society.